Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Little Ones hiding in Shadows

The heart of a child is often described as innocent, as blameless, as pure…the truth of the matter is that children are all of these things…yet they are burdened, hurt, and often forgotten. Children of the world see, hear, and experience more than their hearts and minds can understand.

When I was five years old something happened. Something that has shaped me, burdened me, and hurt me. When I was five years old something happened…something that I could not process and years later am dealing with. When I was five years old something happened…

At five years old I lost my father of a sudden heart attack and the shadow of that experience has followed me all of my life. That shadow has made me who I am. The shadow may follow me, but I do not live in the darkness of that shadow…I live in the light.

I have this passion for children...

For some reason or another God has really gifted me for working with children and teens. Ever since I was little I have had an understanding of them...like they just get me and I get them.

So I work with these kids from a pretty rough area...sure they are not always the best behaved...sure they are not always doing what I tell them, but they are amazing.

They smart off, run away, fight, threaten, laugh at inappropriate times, and know way too much for their own good...but there is something more. They see it. They see it all...everyday...all day...

They hold secrets...pains...wounds...fears. They are hungry, tired, and lonely. They pass it off like they are tough, like they are big and bad, but really they are terrified. Really they just do not understand. Really they just need someone...anyone to show them love, anyone to show them how live in the light instead of the darkness of the shadows that never seem to go away.

Children were never meant to be forgotten, but they were meant to be taken care of, protected, and held. It is our job, as the church, to do that…to hold them, love them, and teach them. It is our job to show them what it looks like to live in the light…


No comments:

Post a Comment