Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Little Ones

We pass it off like they know nothing,

but really let me tell you something,

these little ones with eyes open wide,

keep big secrets by those who confide.

They understand life in a way we can't

they see things at a different slant.

We wonder why the world is broken,

yet we neglect those who go unspoken.

The future of tomorrow lies

behind those big, bright, innocent eyes,

so you tell me who will hold them,

you tell me who will love them?

Those little ones with broken hearts,

were never meant to be torn apart.

So hold them Jesus, hold them tight,

because I can't reach them day and night...

Show them Jesus, give them sight,

help us, help them, to see the light…

3 comments:

  1. Rachel, did you write this poem? It is beautiful.

    Hits me hard today - - - our little Christian school is closing and I see broken hearts all around me in my classes each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Keetha, I did write this. I wrote it a while back kind of as a prayer when i was feeling a little helpless about some of the kids I was working with.

    I am sorry about your school, is it Lakeview? I have heard about it's closing and it makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, my school is Lakeview, and it is sad.

    I'll say it again - - - your poem is great. Working with hurting people always hurts, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete